Sunday, June 28, 2009

To knead, to merge = impastare

I made the mistake of buying the most perfect pear yesterday at the grocery store . . . More experiments with impasto and layering with transparent gels. This one is done with Golden's Heavy Gel (Gloss). I put it on only the pear shape. It dried both quickly and nicely transparent. But the glossiness was trouble. I had to add a layer of clear primer to get any hold at all, which obscured the transparency. Live and learn! (It comes in a matte version. Must try too.)

It's about 6-1/2" x 8" on Japanese print paper that I glued to a piece of cardboard. I like the raggedy edges.

This next one (below!) is done with Talens' Heavy Gel Medium Matt, applied to the pear shapes and to the tabletop area. It dried quickly too and semi-transparent and only needed a coat of fixative in order for it to hold pigment. This medium is a 'keeper'!

It's 8" x 10" on a piece of peachy-toned illustration board, sealed with clear Colourfix primer.

Both of these were done with about 90% panpastels and about 10% with very soft sticks. (The more I use the pans the more I look forward to the dark set that is coming.) First I laid in the big shapes with soft pastel sticks. Then I palette-knifed on the gel, on top of that first layer, which picked up and spread the pigment.

The pans were rubbed into the texture a bit. Last I put the final touches on with the soft sticks, just flitting over the tops of the textured surface. Interesting effect.

No comments: