Monday, June 8, 2009

I was Wingeling it.

In this one I experimented with some impasto gels and other sticky stuff to create texture and layers, as per Creevy, my idol:
•Acrylic Fluid Matt Medium
•Galkyd Gel
•Liquin Light Gel (formerly Wingel)
They all were messy and the Galkyd and the Liquin dried very slowly. The matt medium was too liquid to really do much impastoing. I am going to have to try that on another piece all alone to really get a notion.

The Galkyd and the Liquin, both clear and sticky, did really make some pronounced impasto texture on the base. (You can see some by the Galkyd on the blue background, especially on the left and around the pears.) Both were hard to control with a brush, so I believe that a palette knife is the answer here. (Plus I won't need gamsol to clean a knife!) Next time I want to really try to do layering with these, instead of with the fixitive. But they take so long to dry, you have to be patient. We'll see. (The Galkyd is still sticky, about twelve hours later. Hmmm. Not very practical.)

This Three-Pear is about 8-1/2" X 12" on white paper, using mostly pans and a few sticks at the end, for concentrated color. The more I use these pans the more I miss a good fat selection of darks. Which is on the way. Whew.