Monday, June 15, 2009

Athos, Aramis, and . . . Malus

This one is a little more grounded on a tabletop. Whew! The deeper question here is: when will I be able to get over my infatuation with pears? Is it the shape that so sings for me? Dunno. Maybe with this apple that snuck in here I can start to edge over into other fruits and vegetables . . .

This is 8" x 10" and done with all pans, except for the pear stems. I used nice illustration board that I had coated (two layers) with white Colourfix primer.

I did a gouache/watercolor underpainting in complimentary colors (well, almost) and sealed that with clear Colourfix primer.

I used the new SpectraFix Fixative between the layers of pastels. There are about four or five layers. (I am still not sure how to use this stuff to compliment my "color symphonics". Are you supposed to shake it before use or not? Are you supposed to spray with the piece horizontal or vertical? How far away? I shake and spray horizontal and get bubbles and drips, which -- lucky for me -- fit right in with what I am doing.)

The underpainting and the source pic is below.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow. That froot looks like you could eat it.