Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sieve Mom or Pears In Winter

This is 8"x10" on reverse beveled illustration board. Latest gel medium is Golden's Fiber Paste, which is very nice! "This medium offers a dry film that has the appearance of rough handmade paper."

I put down a haphazard messy layer of very soft pastels broadly, as an underpainting, and then palette-knifed on this new paste. Then I brushed the more prominent ridges out with a stiff brush. (I am not a valiant warrior.)

It dried nicely transparent and offered and excellent tooth for the pastels. But here is a passage from very interesting usage note from Golden, entitled Using Gels and Pastes: "A 1/4 inch thick film of a Gloss Gel will take a week or two, even in ideal conditions (70-80°F, relative humidity of 50% or less, and a moderate flow of air in drying area) to develop clarity. When humidity pushes over 80%, the same Gloss Gel may remain cloudy for several months."

What is cool about this is that my small studies might be still evolving and changing, as the various gels and pastes dry and cure. I like that idea!! I like not knowing how these will end up.

In any event, this pear piece is about 60% panpastels and the rest very soft sticks. I don't know if it was the new support or if I was particularly attentive or if it was just the lighting, but I could actually see the pastel particle sparkles on this one.

"Sieve Mom", n. the female version of helicopter parent

No comments: