Sunday, March 30, 2008

18th World Wide SketchCrawl


The 18th World Wide SketchCrawl was yesterday, Saturday, March 29th 2008. I had put out a note a month ago in that forum, that I was going to meet whomever wanted to join me at 11am in the Mitsitam Café inside the National Museum of the American Indian. About 125 folks looked at the note but no one replied that they were planning on coming.

So tomorrow morning, given all the action downtown, I was not rushing. There was the Smithsonian Kite Festival, Opening Day of the Cherry Blossom Festival (with the blossoms at their peak this weekend), the National Marathon, and the Circus at the arena. Whew! Needless to say public transportation was at a strain point. It took me an hour and a half to get to the Museum and (as I suspected) no one joined me for sketching. So I just relaxed and enjoyed myself.

First with an excellent breast of duck and root veggies lunch at the
Mitsitam Café. That place is great. Luckily I did arrive at about 11:30am, and so had no trouble getting in and getting my lunch. I sketched a few fellow diners. Then saw the tear-jerker of a movie in the Lelawi Theater, sketched some items in the exhibits, and then went out and sketched the kite-flyers on the Mall. It was a lovely day and everyone everywhere was having an equally great day, judging by all the smiles, the laughter. Good day! More of my sketches are here. Not a great body of work, but I had a fine time!

No comments: