Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Turn with the Urn


This is part of my homework for next weekend's pastels class at the Smithsonian. This is a sketch using "line technique". Again, I am not all together sure that this is what Professor Gobar meant by that assignment, but I had a good time.

This is about 12"x9" on Pastelmat paper but with the urn and the pieces of fruit built up with a layer of clear Colourfix primer on top of the gouache underpainting. The color work is about 50% Polychromos sticks, very hard and very precise. Then about 45% PanPastels. The last 5% is some gimmicky silver and gold Polychromos sticks and some even more gimmicky iridescent 'White Pearl' Schmincke very soft stick. But what the heck, eh? It's a metal urn for heavens sake!

This is the first time I have ever attempted such a reflective surface (this is my favorite pewter urn vase) and am not sure I succeeded at all. Plus the lemon looks a bit blocky. C'est la 'nature morte'. N'est pas?


ADDENDUM [7Nov09]: Professor Gobar suggested this crop. So much for the urn and all that. . . heh heh.

No comments: