Friday, March 28, 2008

Who's old? Not me!



A thoughtful but hunched-over fellow Metro commuter. Along with some detail from a handy crape myrtle.

I enjoyed my visit to the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore the other day, to see their Maps: Finding Our Place in the World exhibition. Maps of all kinds are a treat for me, both to see and study and to make. You can both learn (know) and claim a space, if you map it. My favorite "map" from the Walters' shows was from the Mapping the Cosmos section. It was the photograph of the 'Hubble Ultra Deep Field'. It was about 4'x'4' and I stood very close to it. The distance and the time that you can see into are beyond imagination. But it is very comforting to look at that image and to be absolutely sure that we are not alone.

The Walters itself is a museum to be proud of. The coolest room by far is their Chamber of Wonders, which is so chock full of cool stuff, all jumbled up, you could spend the whole day there. Just my cup of tea. They also have what I believe is the most extensive local collection of art of the ancient Americas (since Dumbarton Oaks' Pre-Columbian Wing is still closed for renovation), which was also a treat to see and study.

No comments: