Thursday, February 12, 2009

Black? What?

Goodness me, I don't know! This is about 6" x 7-1/2", gouache on black Arches cover. I have seen some very nice pastel and gouache work on Somerset Black Velvet and this is a test to see if I want to order some. Next test will be pastels on the Arches black.

The Somerset Black Velvet is considerably heavier (250 gsm) than the Arches cover (136 gsm). Interesting! Might be like illustration board.

Gouache en Plein Air! Here is a great pic of a perfectly adequate gouache kit
for relaxed and happy plein air work. Thanks, Jamie!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Jan, I'm out wandering around looking for sketchbook ideas, just looking to see how others approach them. I came upon your blog in a really roundabout fashion that's been fun--and here I find a link right back to a gouache of mine... I want to do more gouache in sketchbook format! (I started with that idea, but all the pages fell out because they were perforated.) Then I discovered the fun of the Somerset Black Velvet, which I had on hand for my pastels, so now I tape the more meaningful ones into my sketchbook. Anyway, I have your blog on my favorites and will keep my eyes open for inspiration from you! Thanks!

Deborah