Saturday, January 19, 2008

Monoprint from Max

This is an experiment using a few original images made by my very good friend Max Hesser, age four and a half. I copied Max's drawings onto plexiglass with an engraving point on a Dremel. Then I printed that drypoint image on top of a monoprint. (I got the idea for this image from the demo in the Akua DVD entitled Safer Printmaking with Akua Water-Based Inks.)

Lessons learned: Getting a suitable under-image monoprint is difficult. I experimented with different mixtures and thicknesses of the inks, but was satisfied (well sort of) with only the version above. I was also surprised at how quickly the drypoint image lost it's wonderful mooshy and furry line. Just a few "pulls"! Must plan ahead better in the future!

I love my new little press! There are so many possibilities it's tough to decide what to try next. I really like the look of the drypoint line, however, and will continue to experiment with that.

No comments: