Sunday, January 27, 2008

Magenta Man

I attended a meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association this weekend, in London Town (which is just south of Annapolis). Just to see what they were all about. They are all about oil painting. Oh well. But the demonstrations and panel discussions were interesting and the people were very nice. I added my name to the e-mail list for periodic "paint out" field trips in the DC area. Maybe I can sneak in among them with just my sketching paraphernalia. Maybe camouflage it in a jazzy pochade box. Maybe pretend with my watercolors or gouache.

Above is a Metro sketch done on a piece of paper that I had splotched months ago with a watercolor monotype, very abstract. I liked the colors so I cut the paper to size and bound it in my everyday sketchbook. The man looked very solemn and abstracted. So it's a fit!

Motto-of-the-Day: Incorporate indeterminacy.

No comments: