Saturday, May 23, 2009

"Figere" (to fix, fasten, make stable)

With "fixative" on hand, it's difficult to know where or how to stop. Yeah, the fresco look is enticing, but gimme a break.

These squashed oranges are after a demonstration piece in my favorite how-to pastels book, by Bill Creevy: The Pastel Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist (and go to page 124 after searching for the word 'paste') He is using it to demo a technique that layers the pastel with "modeling paste". Creevy is my hero. What the heck is modeling paste?

My piece is about 9" x 6", on 500 grit UArt paper, tinted a neutral gray with PR Velvet Black ink, which was diluted with water. I used mostly Ludwig and Mt. Vision pastels, all very soft.

2 comments:

Samter Petuel said...

J, I like this effect. Looks like a painting. Or is it a fresco? Are you sure that's not a bowl of muffins?

Observe Closely said...

Thanks! It's layer after layer of pastel. With fixative between. (Creevy is the cat's meow with the fresco look. Did you browse that book?) Yeah, too with the muffins look. Need to add some highlights. [sigh] Tho the back top one looks to me more like an orange mushroom.